Bargaining Unit: At Will
Salary Code: Band C
Fair Labor Standard Act Designation: Exempt
Revision Date: February 7, 2024
Under general direction of the Chief Operating Officer, plans, organizes, and directs all operations and maintenance activities of the District, including water delivery, testing and maintenance of water meters and pumps, administration of construction contracts for rehabilitation of the District’s pipelines, canals, pumping plants, and field facilities, general and preventive maintenance of distribution systems and related structures and equipment including high voltage electrical facilities, and implementation of the safety program. This is an “at-will management” position in which the incumbent serves at the discretion of the General Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information listed below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Recommends and participates in the development and implementation of District goals, objectives, priorities, and policies.
- Formulates, directs, and reviews the implementation of specific Divisional goals, objectives, priorities, and policies for diverse operations and maintenance activities.
- Plans, directs, and reviews the work of the Division.
- Monitors improvements to equipment, materials, tools and procedures.
- Determines the cost effectiveness of work performed by District personnel and by contractors, and recommends appropriate action to provide and maintain reliable service in the most cost-effective manner.
- Develops, analyzes, interprets and administers District policies.
- Develops and implements work and cost control standards and guidelines for the Division.
- Renders decisions and provides general direction to staff.
- Implements systems and procedures required by District policies, Federal and State statutes and/or regulatory agencies.
- Develops, administers and controls the Division’s budget.
- Confers with other agencies and government representatives on specific and general matters.
- Supervises the preparation of ongoing reports and special studies.
- Ensures that adequate supervision and personnel are available to handle emergencies on a 24-hour per day basis.
- Serves as District liaison or representative on committees, commissions, task forces and external meetings.
- Assists in the formulation and implementation of specific administrative policies and long range plans for the District.
- Interact and communicate effectively with water users, often under stressful circumstances.
- Conducts and oversees personnel and disciplinary investigations, communicates findings, and summarizes conclusions. Interacts with shop stewards and Business Representative.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
A bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Industrial Technology, Business Administration, or a closely related field, and seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience managing a work force performing construction and maintenance work of water distribution facilities, including underground pipeline systems and/or pumping plants. Background in information, electrical and telemetry systems operations is desirable.
Note: Experience in a lead or supervisory role at a water district or public utilities agency may be considered in lieu of education.
- Principles, methods, and techniques of the development and implementation of a coordinated program for the preventative and corrective maintenance of facilities.
- The applicable safety and accident procedures of the California Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- The applicable California General Industrial Safety Orders.
- Principles and practices of management, supervision and budgeting.
- Computer technology as applied to maintenance and construction work.
- The operations of computer systems and equipment.
- Possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
- Work hours other than normal work schedule.
- Possess a valid California Class C Driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.