Education & Outreach
Westlands Water District actively engages the community with educational activities to increase awareness of water issues and foster relationships with schools and organizations within the District area.
In addition to education outreach opportunities, Westlands awards six scholarships annually to college-bound seniors from local west side high schools in Coalinga, Firebaugh, Lemoore, Mendota, Riverdale and Tranquillity. The winners are selected through an application process and essay. Each winner receives $1,000 paid in their name to the college of their choice.
Tours and Events
As part of its comprehensive water education program, Westlands also hosts interactive tours of the west side and participates in several community events. To enhance the public’s awareness of agricultural and water-related issues, Westlands Water District provides informational presentations. These presentations provide a public service to the community and help establish open communication between Westlands and local schools and organizations.
Westlands provides the following presentations as resources for our water users and the community at-large.
- Water Users’ Workshop – March 21, 2017 (PDF)
- Water Users’ Workshop – March 15, 2016 (PDF)
- Water Users’ Workshop and Scoping Session – October 13, 2015 (PDF)
- 2014-2015 Groundwater Conditions Update – April 21, 2015 (PDF)
- Annual Water Users’ Workshop – March 17, 2015 (PDF)
- Water 101: California’s Water Systems – February 12, 2014 (PDF)
- Water Users’ Workshop – June 18, 2013 (PDF)
The following links provide additional in-depth information on issues that affect the District and our water users.
- California Cotton Ginners and Growers Associations
- American Pistachio Growers
- California Tomato Commission
- California Tomato Research Institute
- Journal of Cotton Science
- UC Cooperative Extension
- Center for Irrigation Technology
- Irrigation Training and Research Center
- NRCS Irrigation Page
- NRCS Irrigation Handbooks and Manuals
- NRCS Irrigation Information Sites
- Soil Texture Triangle
- Association of California Water Agencies, ACWA
- California Department of Water Resources
- San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority
- USBR Central Valley Operations
- Water Education Foundation