Bargaining Unit: District Employees Association
Salary Code: 24
FLSA Designation: Nonexempt
Effective Date: 03/01/19
Under general supervision of the Supervisor of Customer Accounting or Supervisor of General Accounting, performs complex, professional accounting and analysis in the preparation and maintenance of financial records, reports, and statements for the District; provides operational and financial planning through review, analysis, monitoring, reconciliation and maintenance of assigned financial accounts.
The Senior Accountant is the advanced professional level classification that serves as an experienced resource to the District managers and staff. Assignments require the use of professional judgement and a thorough knowledge of professional accounting and auditing principles, accounting standards, and financial management practices. The Senior Accountant may provide supervision to assigned staff.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information listed below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Develops and implements reporting and record-keeping procedures; preparation of financial statements, monitoring of accounting transactions in accordance with generally accepted principles of accounting.
- Directs and participates in the preparation, maintenance, verification and reconciliation of accounting, ledgers, reports, journals and other financial statements.
- Organizes and participates in financial and compliance audit assignments to assure accuracy of financial records.
- Generates audit work papers and assists the independent auditors with the annual audit, develops internal control procedures and perform internal audits.
- Assists with the preparation and review of the District’s annual budget; monitors and accounts for funding and revenue received by the District.
- Maintains accurate, professional level accounting records, prepares clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
- Reviews payroll and related functions and assists with personnel transactions within the Department.
- Assists managers and staff of other departments in conducting queries, generating special reports and developing new processes and procedures; designs and creates custom financial reports; attends meeting to discuss issues and resolve problems.
- Identifies and implements new accounting procedures to enhance the operational needs of the District.
- Supervises, distributes, prioritizes, and reviews the work of District employees involved in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and reports for management, government agencies, financial institutions and Board of Directors.
- Manages special projects involving design changes and implementations of accounting systems and procedures and the development and documentation of policy and procedure for the Finance Division.
- Assists in gathering data for the preparation of official statements required for debt issues and maintains debt source needs.
- Reviews and applies Reclamation law, legislation, and other authoritative guidelines as appropriate, in performing various auditing and accounting activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration with major course work in accounting and three (3) years of professional accounting experience, one of which includes lead or supervisory responsibilities; or equivalent.
- Applying federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances applicable to delivering of agricultural, municipal, and industrial water.
- Advanced practices, principles, and procedures of accounting, auditing, budgeting, payroll and financial reporting.
- Department practices, policies, procedures necessary to train, assign, review, and coordinate the work of District employees.
- Preparing, analyzing, auditing, verifying, and reconciling financial statements, accounting records, schedules, and financial information systems reports.
- Research methods and statistical and financial analysis techniques.
- Computer technology and design software as applied to perform assigned tasks.
- Water district operations and billing procedures.
- Reclamation law as it applies to land eligibility and water pricing.
- Agricultural and irrigation practices.
- Understand, interpret, and apply federal, state and local law and departmental policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Independently apply accounting principles to the maintenance and reporting of financial and accounting transactions and audit of financial records.
- Research, compile, analyze, interpret, and prepare a variety of fiscal, statistical, and administrative reports.
- Analyze information and issues, evaluate alternatives, research sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations on complex financial data, operations and systems of internal control.
- Organize, implement, and oversee a variety of professional accounting and financial activities.
- Effectively provide technical support to District employees.
- Assign, review, and coordinate the work of staff.
- Operate a computer and use standard business software and complex enterprise accounting systems.
- To express ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Work under pressure towards time deadlines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organization levels and with the public.
- Moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time up to 30 pounds.
- Possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
- May work hours other than normal work schedule.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.