Bargaining Unit: At Will
Salary Code: Band D
FLSA Designation: Exempt
Revision Date: 02/01/17
Under administrative direction of the General Manager, performs a variety of duties as required to support the programmatic, technical, and policy level responsibilities of the General Manager pertaining to District water supplies, including participation in meetings, negotiations, briefings, or other functions of the State and Federal governmental agencies, the state legislature, water districts, and other water-related industries. This is an “at will management” position in which the incumbent serves at the discretion of the General Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Implements and assists in the development of Board and/or General Manager strategies pertaining to protection and restoration of the District’s water supply.
- Provides technical and policy support to the General Manager in areas of water service contracts, Central Valley Project and State Water Project operations, water rights and permits, and other matters of water policy.
- Evaluates actions proposed and taken by the United States in the implementation of Federal laws and regulations and develops policy-level recommendations regarding District support or opposition to such actions.
- Evaluates and analyzes State and Federal proposed and potential legislation, regulations, rules, and other actions pertaining to District water supplies and develops policy-level recommendations regarding District support or opposition to such actions.
- Develops and presents technical and policy recommendations to the General Manager and Board of Directors, and assists in the development of District strategies and responses to State and Federal actions affecting the District’s water supply.
- Represents the District at meetings, conferences, and hearings of local, State, or Federal agencies, boards, or legislative committees, including the Department of Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Fish & Wildlife Service, State Department of Water Resources, State Water Resources Control Board, CAlFED, The San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority and other various water districts.
- Prepares other special reports pertaining to water policy as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
A bachelor’s degree from a four (4) year college or university with major coursework in Civil, Agricultural, or Environmental Engineering, Business or Public Administration or a related field and three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in the field of water resources planning and management.
- Principles of administration, operation, and management practices applicable to large agricultural water delivery organizations.
- Principles, practices, and methods involved in the operation, maintenance, and engineering of a variety of water facilities.
- California Environmental Quality Act requirements and procedures.
- California Water laws, rules, and regulations to water use.
- General terms and conditions of water service contracts.
- General terms, conditions, and processes pertaining to water rights and permits.
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database software applications.
- Exercise independent judgment.
- Effectively communicate in written or oral form with management, staff, contractors, and other agencies and the public.
- Possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.