Bargaining Unit: Office and Clerical Employee Unit
Salary Code: 17
FLSA Designation: Nonexempt
Revision Date: October 1, 2023
Under general supervision, the Customer Service Representative is responsible for establishing and maintaining profitable relationships with customers on behalf of the District by taking accountability and responsibility for each customer account by ensuring that all customer requirements are completely met. Customer Service Representative is a skilled level classification. Individuals in this class perform customer service and account management tasks requiring the exercise of interpretative ability and judgment. Individuals exercise judgment in determining appropriate actions to take following established District policies and procedures. Incumbent in a (Lead) Customer Service Representative position performs more difficult customer service work, assumes greater independence, keeps supervisor appraised of the status of pending assignments and deadlines and leads staff performing customer service work.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Processes customer orders in a courteous, efficient, and timely manner, and effectively presents and discusses the District accounts.
- Communicates effectively with the department team and the operations team informing and updating them regularly to guarantee that the customer objectives are met.
- Receives, approves, and processes daily water orders, annual applications for water allocations, and reclamation law forms.
- Manages telephone calls professionally, efficiently, and with good communication skills.
- Attends to customer complaints and concerns immediately to facilitate satisfactory resolution.
- Receives, assembles, adjusts and processes data for use in the preparation of monthly invoicing.
- Tracks water usage and allocations for each water user, including initial allocation, water transfers, water supply overuse, and releases of water.
- Assists with sorting, merging and the analysis and computation of data and the development or modification of manual and/or automated customer accounting systems.
- Prepares and uses various maps, reports, water use records, and work papers for District and outside use.
- Gathers data for a variety of financial reports requiring the application of accounting principles and the District’s Rules and Regulations.
- Performs accounts receivable and cash receipt tasks, ages accounts receivable, and collects delinquent accounts.
- Informs water users, landowners, District personnel, and various outside agency personnel of policies, rules, procedures, and legal requirements relating to areas of responsibility such as delivery of water, water supply, water costs, and accounts receivable; and resolves problems and exchanges information with water users, landowners, District personnel, and various outside agency personnel.
- Organizes, collects, and maintains water user and landowner acreage limitation records; prepares acreage limitation reports and summarizes; and may coordinate District acreage limitation activities with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.
- Organizes and completes projects involving general ledger and water supply account reconciliations.
- Makes decisions regarding curtailment or termination of water service due to system constraints or violations of District regulations; coordinates water deliveries by users to provide for maximum use and efficiency of the distribution system; and coordinates shutdown of individual water deliveries and laterals for maintenance and emergency purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
Completion of one (1) year of college (30 semester units) including course work in business administration, accounting, agriculture, or a closely related field and three (3) years of experience in a technical position performing customer service accounting work involving spreadsheet development/analysis and high use of database, accounting work or related work in an agricultural water district, or any combination thereof.
Note: Recruitment may be limited to candidates with an education or experience background related to specific position vacancy.
- Customer service practices, principles, and procedures.
- Accounting and billing practices, principles, and procedures.
- Computer, software, and database applications as applied to customer accounting.
- Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Proper English usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Water district operations and billing procedures.
- Agricultural and irrigation practices.
- Federal and state laws applicable to deliveries of agricultural, municipal, and industrial water.
- Maintain confidentiality concerning financial and customer files records.
- Algebra and basic geometry.
- Understand, interpret, and apply department policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Review detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Maintain a high degree of initiative, maturity, integrity, and exercise sound judgment.
- Effectively multi-task and consistently meet changing and challenging deadlines.
- Alphabetize, file, and maintain various records.
- Work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels and with the public.
- Lifting of supplies and materials from time to time up to 30 pounds.
- Busy open office environment.
- Faced with interruptions.
- Exposure to computer screens.
- Spends long hours sitting and using office equipment.
- Depending on assignment, possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.