Bargaining Unit: At Will
Salary Code: Band C
FLSA Designation: Exempt
Revision Date: 02/01/17
Under general direction of the General Manager, performs a variety of legal duties as required to support the programmatic, technical. and policy level responsibilities of the Board of Directors, and the General Manager pertaining to District water supplies, including participation in meetings, negotiations, briefings, or other functions of State and Federal governmental agencies, the state legislature, water districts, and other water related industries. This is an “at-will management” position that serves at the discretion of the General Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Implements and assists in the development of Board of Directors and General Manager legal strategies pertaining to protection and restoration of the District’s Central Valley Project water entitlement.
- Provides legal advice to the Board of Directors, General Manager and other staff in areas of water service contracts, Central Valley Project and State Water Project operations, water rights and permits, and other matters of water policy.
- Evaluates and analyzes State and Federal legislation, regulations, rules, case law and other actions pertaining to District water supplies.
- Develops and presents legal recommendations to the General Manager and Board of Directors.
- Assists and cooperates with outside counsel in litigation.
- Represents the District at meetings, conferences, and hearings of local, State, or Federal agencies, boards, or legislative committees, including the Department of Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Fish & Wildlife Service, State Department of Water Resources, State Water Resources Control Board, California Regional Water Quality Control Board, the San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority and other various water districts.
- Assists in the development of strategies and responses to environmental impact reports/statements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
Graduate Legal Intern: Graduation from an ABA-accredited law school.
Deputy General Counsel: Graduation from ABA-accredited law school and successful completion of the California Bar Exam. Other: No disqualifying issues in State Bar ethics and background information and must be sworn into California Bar in appropriate manner.
- Principles of administration, operation, and management practices applicable to large agricultural water delivery organizations.
- California Environmental Quality Act requirements and procedures.
- California water laws, rules and regulations related to water use.
- General terms and conditions of water service contracts.
- General terms, conditions, and processes pertaining to water rights and permits.
- Federal reclamation law.
- National Environmental Policy Act.
- Federal Endangered Species Act.
- California Endangered Species Act.
- California Natural Communities Conservation Planning Act.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
- Work hours other than normal work schedule.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.