Bargaining Unit: Operating Engineers Local #3
Salary Code: 18
FLSA Designation: Nonexempt
Revision Date: 06/01/19
Under general supervision of the Senior Mechanical Maintenance Worker, performs and may direct a crew performing work involved in repairing, fitting, and fabricating pipe configurations, tools, equipment, and component parts using welding, sheet metal, or fabrication techniques. The Pipe Fitter is a single position classification which requires interdependent judgment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Performs oxy-acetylene torch cutting, heliarc, arc, mig, and tig wleding, including metal buildup of pits and all position welds on pipe, plate, and other structural shapes in accordance with American Welding Society or American Society of Mechanical Engineers in the shop and/or in the field.
- Performs layout work requiring Geometry and Trigonometry.
- Designs, repairs, and constructs parts and structural components for heavy equipment, such as traveling water screens, discharge manifolds, valve adaptions, pumps and equipment.
- Follows procedures for confined space entry and the use of hazardous materials.
- Recommends repair standards.
- Properly maintains sanitation of parts, tools, and equipment to prepare for welding, repair, and fabrication.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combinationof equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
Possession of a United States’ high school diploma, GED, or equivalent and three (3) years of experience supplemented by specialized training in the area of oxy-acetylene, heliarc, arc, mig, and tig welding, or equivalent.
- Principles, methods, techniques, tools, and equipment used in fabrication of a water distribution system.
- Machine shop procedures and practices.
- Safety practices, safe work methods, and safety regulations pertaining to water distribution systems.
- Design and grinding procedures.
- Load lifting and rigging techniques.
- The use and operation of arc and gas welding and cutting equipment.
- Set up, operate, and maintain machine shop tools and equipment.
- Follow and prepare both oral and written instructions.
- Safely operate and maintain assigned tools and equipment.
- Read, interpret, and work from blueprints, plans, specifications, and manuals.
- Communicate effectively is required.
- Perform basic record maintenance of work performed.
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships at all organizational levels as well as the public.
- Operate a District vehicle and/or equipment observing legal and defense driving practices.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATE, OR CREDENTIAL
- Westlands Water District certification for welding per American Society of Mechanical Engineers Sections 8 & 9 for A53 B pipe and all positions using American Society of Mechanical Engineers SFA -5.20 flux core Wire must be obtained within six (6) months of appointment.
- Heavy lifting of supplies and materials up to 100 pounds.
- Use of hazardous materials.
- Possess the physical strength and agility to work outdoors under adverse climatic conditions.
- Possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including the ability to climb stationary ladders up to 100 feet in height, work suspended above ground level (approximately 45 feet) in a bosun chair or aerial lift, and work in confined spaces such as in excavations (approximately 20 feet below ground level), buried dewatered pipelines and manifolds (ranging in size from 3 feet to 13 feet in diameter), and dewatered sumps and turnout facilities (approximately 30 feet below ground level).
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.