Bargaining Unit: Miscellaneous Non-Supervisory Unit
Salary Code: 15
FLSA Designation: Nonexempt
Revision Date: 08/01/17
The information below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Cycles, inspects, adjusts, and lubricates pumps, motors, valves, compressors, traveling water screens, bubbler systems, piping structures, and controls at pumping plants.
- Adjusts, repairs, and replaces mechanical equipment and structural facilities, and repacks water lubricated pumps at the pumping plants and canal structures.
- Completes work orders for the removal, repair, or replacement of defective, worn, or broken mechanical or electrical equipment at the pumping plants and canal structures.
- Operates dump trucks, tractors, loaders, and pneumatic, power, and hand tools.
- Monitors and records vibration and sound levels and reduces the vibration of pumping units, which includes impeller adjustments, piping stress relief, or balancing of units.
- Repairs compacted earth embankments, bituminous road surfacing, and concrete canal lining.
- Performs weed control measures, which include cutting, burning, and spraying; and disposes of aquatic and vegetative growth in and around pumping plants, reservoirs, and canals.
- Performs welding and acetylene welding and torch cutting.
- Applies paint and protective and molecular coatings to maintain or restore equipment and facilities.
- Operates material handling equipment, including telescoping man lifts, truck mounted cranes up to 1-ton capacity and portable high-pressure cleaning equipment.
- Utilizes procedures for confined space entry, the use of hazardous materials, along with crane and heavy equipment safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
Completion of the twelfth (12) grade and three (3) years of equivalent experience in general industrial repair and/or preventive maintenance work; or any combination thereof.
Note: One (1) year experience as an Operations and Maintenance Trainee with Westlands Water District will substitute for two (2) years of the required experience.
Note: Recruitment may be limited to candidates with an education or experience background related to the specific position vacancy.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATE, OR CREDENTIAL
- Depending on assignment, possession of a Qualified Applicator’s Certificate for C and F category pesticides may be required within twelve (12) months of assignment.
- Depending on assignment, must be certified by the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) within twelve (12) months of assignments.
- The operation of folding or telescoping truck-mounted cranes up to one-ton capacity and overhead shop cranes up to 20-ton capacity.
- Operational characteristics of general construction and maintenance tools and equipment, repair and preventive maintenance techniques and procedures.
- Construction techniques, construction hand tools, carpentry and concrete forming practices; landscaping and weed control work.
- Load lifting and rigging techniques.
- Principles, methods, techniques, tools, and equipment used in a water distribution and drainage system.
- The use and operation of arc and gas welding and cutting equipment.
- Apply knowledge, techniques, and materials employed in construction, maintenance and repair of irrigation systems.
- Follow and prepare both verbal and written instructions.
- Safely operate and maintain assigned tools and equipment. ▪ Read and interpret pipeline plans and profile drawings.
- Communicate effectively is required.
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships at all organizational levels as well as with the public.
- Operate a District vehicle and/or equipment observing legal and defense driving practices.
- Heavy lifting up to 100 pounds.
- Use of hazardous materials.
- Possess the physical strength and agility to work outdoors under adverse climatic conditions.
- Works in an environment with exposure to dust, dirt, and/or weed abatement chemicals.
- May stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, sit, stand, and walk for extended period of time.
- Possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including the ability to climb stationary ladders up to 100 feet in height, work suspended above ground level (approximately 45 feet) in a bosun chair or aerial lift, and work in confined spaces such as in excavations (approximately 20 feet below ground level), buried dewatered pipelines and manifolds (ranging in size from 3 feet to 13 feet in diameter), and dewatered sumps and turnout facilities (approximately 30 feet below ground level).
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.
- Depending on assignment, possession of a valid California Class A Driver’s License with air brake endorsements must be obtained within twelve (12) months of assignment along with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.