Bargaining Unit: At Will
Salary Code: Band D
FLSA Designation: Exempt
Revision Date: 04/01/19
Under general supervision of the Chief Operating Officer, performs a wide variety of duties relative to a comprehensive community and public relations program which include the preparation of brochures, newsletters, press releases, and other material; participation in outreach activities including tours and special events, and compiling and maintaining varied information. This is an “at-will management” position in which the incumbent serves at the discretion of the General Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information listed below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Participates in public education and community relations activities including the preparation of materials such as landowner and water user notices, newsletters, annual reports, informational materials, speeches, and feature articles; and maintains current mailing and email lists.
- Represents the District with the media, general public, and other agencies; responds to questions and concerns about District activities or positions; and fulfills requests for information.
- Conducts and coordinates tours of facilities and presentations at trade shows, classrooms, and before community interest groups, professional associations, and the general public.
- Writes, edits, and distributes news releases, columns, and letters as directed, and edits written materials from other departments as requested.
- Gathers and compiles information through research or personal interviews.
- Develops material for inclusion in media kits or presentations to varied audiences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Administration, or a closely related field, and experience in public affairs, public relations or public information which required extensive written and oral communication.
- Operations and functions of local media, such as newspaper, radio, and television.
- Effective methods of preparation and presentation of facts and information for and to the public and media, including formatting of materials for publications and news releases.
- Principles, theories, and techniques of journalism, expository writing, editing, and public speaking.
- Principles, theories, and applications of design, reproduction, printing processes, and layout techniques.
- Principles and practices of public and community relations.
- Issues affecting agriculture, water, and governmental affairs.
- Desktop publishing and word processing software.
- Filing, index, and cross-referencing methods and techniques.
- Websites, various social media platforms, and social media messaging.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with a broad spectrum of employees and outside contacts in the media, community and other water districts.
- Possess excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Develop and maintain business relationships with internal and external personnel.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Provided a fluctuating workload; and work well under pressure.
- Meet continuous deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships at all organizational levels as well as with the public.
- Operate a District vehicle while observing legal and defensive driving practices
- Moderate lifting of supplies and materials up to 30 pounds.
- Possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
- Work hours other than normal work schedule
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.