Bargaining Unit: At Will
Salary Code: Band D
FLSA Designation: Exempt
Revision Date: 02/01/17
Under general direction of the Director of Operations and Maintenance, plans, organizes, directs, controls, and supervises work of staff related to the distribution of water, monitoring of drain flows, and maintenance of water meters. This is an “at-will management” position in which the incumbent serves at the discretion of the General Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information listed below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, directs, reviews, and supervises the work of assigned staff engaged in the operation of the water distribution and drainage systems, accuracy testing and maintenance of the District’s water meters, the production testing of pumps, and the Districts annual M&I backflow testing program.
- Selects, trains, and evaluates the performance of assigned staff.
- Prepares the Department’s annual budget; reviews expenditures to ensure they remain within prescribed limits; and justifies budget variances.
- Communicates regularly with department staff and is responsible for ensuring compliance with District policies, rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Participates in formulating long-range planning goals.
- Responds to emergency situations and coordinates the systematic shutdown of the system or portions of the system with other departments or agencies.
- Plans and coordinates the scheduling of preventive maintenance and replacement of all District water meters with Department Staff.
- Coordinates meter service and calibration; meter and meter parts inventory for the Department.
- Reviews all Department work orders and takes appropriate action.
- Coordinates the District annual M&I backflow testing program by an outside service.
- Oversees the reviews and entering of meter service reports electronically in the Districts meter log and coordinates field operations data and/or information with other departments.
- Represents the District at various general technical meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
A completion of the twelfth grade and three (3) years of experience as a Senior Operator with the District; or two (2) years of college (equivalent to 60 semester units) including course work in civil engineering, hydraulics, water measurement, meter calibration, and irrigation practices, or a related field, and five (5) years of experience performing a variety of duties related to the operation of a water distribution and drainage system, two (2) years which must have included lead or supervisory responsibilities.
- Principles, practices, methods, and equipment used in the operation of canals, pipelines, and related structures.
- Water control and delivery problems related to water facility operations.
- Operation and maintenance of various types of water meters.
- Emergency shutdown procedures.
- Elementary algebra, geometry, and basic hydraulics.
- Principles and practices of management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Applicable safety and accident prevention procedures of the California Occupational Safety and Health Act and General Industrial Safety Orders.
- Administrative principles and techniques, including purchasing, planning, scheduling, and budget control functions.
- Computerized water distribution system maintenance.
- Theory and concepts of preventive maintenance.
- The use of a PC.
- Possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including the ability to climb stationary ladders. Moderate lifting up to 60 pounds. Work in all kinds of weather. Work hours other than normal work schedule when required.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.