Bargaining Unit: Miscellaneous Non-Supervisory Unit
Salary Code: 17
FLSA Designation: Nonexempt
Revision Date: March 1, 2022
Under general supervision of the Senior Water Measurement Specialist, performs meter calibration and repair, flow measurement, pump performance testing, and other related technical work. Water Measurement Technician is a single position classification.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The information below is meant to serve as examples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed.
- Installs, operates, maintains, repairs, and calibrates water manometers, gauges, pitot tubes, water and flow measurement, and pump testing equipment.
- Performs water meter flow measurements and calibrations both in the field and at the Districts meter calibration facility.
- Assists in the testing, calibration, and repair of headworks water metering devices.
- During training, performs progressively more difficult and technical work.
- Performs the annual performance testing of distribution pumps.
- Manipulates distribution systems utilizing the motor control panel and telemetry system as required to isolate equipment to be tested.
- Assists in all functions of the domestic water system at the Five Points Shop and Field Office and serves as the back up to the primary operator.
- Operates a calculator, personal computer and spreadsheet, word processing and data base software.
- Reads maps, and interprets land descriptions.
Education and Experience
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way of acquiring the knowledge would be:
Possession of a United States’ high school diploma, GED, or equivalent and one year (30 units) of college coursework including courses in algebra, physics, chemistry, hydraulics, water measurement, meter calibration and/or water treatment and three (3) years experience performing skilled duties in water measurement calibration and/or water treatment;
Substitution: Four (4) years experience as an Operator with Westlands Water District will substitute for the college units required.
- Methods and techniques of water meter reading.
- Methods and techniques involved in installing, inspecting, maintaining, testing, calibrating, and repairing various types of water meters and related equipment.
- Operational characteristics of valves, pumps, pumping plants, meters and other related mechanical devices.
- Recognize, diagnose, and correct failures and/or anticipate problems with water meters.
- Develop and maintain records.
- Operate a variety of water meter reading and testing tools, equipment and techniques in a safe and effective manner.
- Read and interpret maps and land descriptions.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Operate water distribution facilities to effectively meet defined needs.
- Compile and analyze water use.
- Establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships at all organizational levels as well as with the public.
- Operate a District vehicle observing legal and defense driving practices.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATE, OR CREDENTIAL
- Possession of a Grade T2 Water Treatment and D2 Water Distribution Operator Certificates issued by the California Department of Public Health must be obtained within one (1) year of assignment.
- Possess the physical strength and agility to work outdoors under adverse climatic conditions.
- Possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job including the ability to climb stationary ladders up to 50 feet in height, work in confined spaces, such as vaults, excavations (approximately 30 feet below ground level), buried dewatered pipelines and manifolds (ranging in size from 3 feet to 13 feet in diameter), and dewatered sumps and turnout facilities (approximately 30 feet below ground level).
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the District’s automobile insurance provider is required.